.:: K Lierse SK ::.

Open champion won the Volgende onderwerp
Vorige onderwerp

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsenReageren
Auteur Bericht
hfy962464

BerichtGeplaatst: 08-03-2018 04:18:24 Reageren met citaatTerug naar boven

NEW YORK -- James Blake rested his white baseball hat on the table at the front of the U. Brian Ferlin Jersey .S. Opens main interview room, smiled, and began speaking Monday about his impending retirement from tennis. The former top-five player was relaxed, composed and matter-of-fact. "No real surprise here. This is my last tournament," the 33-year-old American said on Day 1 of the years last Grand Slam. "I have had 14 pretty darn good years on tour, loved every minute of it, and I definitely couldnt have asked for a better career." As Blake continued with his opening statement, discussing why he decided to leave the tour after the U.S. Open, he explained: "There are so many athletes that say they can never replace that feeling of having that adrenaline rush, but I get more of an adrenaline rush now seeing my daughter wake up in the morning. Thats something that Im truly looking forward to -- being able to spend more time with my wife and daughter." And with that, his voice got caught on the words and his eyes reddened. Blake reached with his left hand to wipe away tears, until someone in the audience tossed him a white towel to dab at his eyes. "Despite the tears, Im actually really happy about this," Blake said. "I can do it on my own terms. Always wanted to do that. I thought about it a ton this year." Blake, who attended Harvard before turning pro in 1999, reached a career-high ranking of No. 4 in 2006. He is currently 100th and has a 9-13 record this season heading into his first-round match in the U.S. Open against Ivo Karlovic. "I dont kid myself. I know I have had a great career in my eyes, but its not one thats going to go down in the history books," Blake said. "Its not one thats going to end in Newport" -- the home of the International Tennis Hall of Fame -- "but its one that Im proud of." Blake joined Andy Roddick and twins Bob and Mike Bryan to help the United States beat Russia in the 2007 Davis Cup final in Portland, Ore., giving the Americans their first title in that international competition in 12 years, their countrys longest gap between victories. "My proudest moment was Portland, without a doubt," Blake said. He won 10 singles titles, most recently in 2007. At Grand Slam tournaments, he reached the quarterfinals three times, including twice at the U.S. Open, losing at that stage in New York to Andre Agassi in 2005, and to Roger Federer the following year. That five-set loss to Agassi, Blake said, was his "biggest highlight and lowlight, at the same time." This tournament always seemed to bring out the best in Blake, who was born in Yonkers and went to high school in Connecticut. He closed his news conference Monday by describing how he used to sneak under a fence as a kid to get into the U.S. Open without paying. Long a fan favourite at Flushing Meadows, his matches often were accompanied by raucous cheering and chanting from a sizable group of supporters known as the "J-Block." "Obviously, the U.S. Open was a special place for him. I understand how he would want to end here. You know, I think he still has a lot of great tennis in him, but hes decided that now is the time for him," said Venus Williams, the 2000-01 U.S. Open champion. "He has a family now, so those are important priorities, from what I hear. Hes ready, so all we can do is support him." Blakes announcement came a year after Roddick, his friend and former Davis Cup teammate, decided to make the U.S. Open the final tournament of his career. "I know Andys decision last year was a little different. ... We got along great, but he was a little more impetuous at times, and Im definitely a little more thought-out and it takes me a little longer," Blake said. "It took me a while to come to this decision, so Im really happy with it and comfortable with it." He talked about having come close to being forced to end his playing days nearly a decade ago because of two health scares. In May 2004, during a practice session for a tournament in Rome, Blake slipped on the clay court and slammed into a net post, breaking vertebrae in his neck. In August of that year, he got an illness that affected his sight and temporarily paralyzed part of his face. In between, his father died from stomach cancer; Blake wound up raising millions of dollars for cancer research. Asked what his plans are for now, Blake said he wants to work on his golf game -- and change his 1-year-olds diapers. Looking "way down the road," as he put it, he would like to be the U.S. Davis Cup captain, and perhaps work as a television commentator. At this very moment, though, he would like to win a match or two at his final tournament. "I dont want to be dragged out of this game. I dont want someone telling me I need to leave," Blake said. "I want to leave on my own terms. Im happy doing that right now." Boyd Gordon Jersey . The English Football Association had charged the German right back with violent conduct after retrospectively reviewing video evidence of an incident that was missed by match officials at Craven Cottage on Saturday. Yohann Auvitu Jersey . Vonn had another scary moment at Saturdays World Cup downhill in Val dIsere, ending up clutching her knee in pain after losing her balance and missing a gate. But she gave a reassuring answer shortly afterward, saying no new damage had been done to the surgically repaired knee, and that her plans for the Sochi Olympics were still intact. http://www.hockeyoilersshop.com/adam-larsson-jersey/ . The Missouri Tigers Defensive End and SEC Defensive player of the year is eligible for the upcoming NFL draft in May.HONOLULU, Hawaii - At least Jimmy Walker is leaving Hawaii with one trophy.Six days after losing a playoff tournament on Maui, Walker turned in a command performance Sunday on Oahu. He blew away the field with a 7-under 63 to win the Sony Open for the second straight year.His fourth career victory was the most impressive of all. On a course that lends itself to a free-for-all, Walker shot 62-63 on the weekend and set a tournament record with a nine-shot victory. The previous record was seven shots, last set in 2000 by Paul Azinger.Walker became the first repeat winner at the Sony Open since Ernie Els in 2004.Scott Piercy closed with a 66 to finish alone in second. Matt Kuchar, who started the day two shots out of the lead, didnt make a birdie and shot 71 to tie for third with Harris English and Gary Woodland, who each had a 67. Kuchar ended his streak of 2555 rounds on the PGA Tour with at least one birdie. Oscar Klefbom Jersey. But this was Walkers show, and it couldnt have happened at a better time. Walker had a three-shot lead with five holes to play at Kapalua last Monday when he wound up losing to Patrick Reed in a playoff at the Tournament of Champions. With a quick turnaround, he quickly put it behind him.Walker finished at 23-under 257.ABU DHABI HSBC GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Frances Gary Stal took advantage of Martin Kaymers collapse to win the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship for his first European Tour title.Stal closed with a 7-under 65 to finish at 19-under 269 and beat top-ranked Rory McIlroy (66) by a stroke. Kaymer, 10 strokes ahead with 13 holes left, had a 75 to finish two strokes back. The U.S. Open champion won the Abu Dhabi event in 2008, 2010 and 2011. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Profiel bekijkenStuur privébericht
Berichten van afgelopen:      
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsenReageren

Ga naar:   

Volgende onderwerp
Vorige onderwerp

Wilt u geen reclame op dit forum en genieten van extra voordelen? Klik dan vlug hier voor meer informatie!