.:: K Lierse SK ::.

Can you drive in the UK with an international licence? Volgende onderwerp
Vorige onderwerp

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsenReageren
Auteur Bericht
emindossros

BerichtGeplaatst: 28-12-2023 01:16:36 Reageren met citaatTerug naar boven

Whether you're on holiday in the UK or setting up home here, it's important to know the rules and regulations around driving on your international licence. We've answered all your questions to help you get on the road:

I'm just visiting the UK. Can I drive with my international licence?

Driving in the UK on your foreign driving licence depends on 2 things: the length of your stay, and the country where your licence was issued.

The good news is, tourists can drive around Great Britain (i.e. England, Wales and Scotland) on their valid foreign driving licence for up to 12 months from the day they last entered the country. Road trip, anyone?

The rules are different in Northern Ireland, read about them on the government website here.

I'm moving to the UK and becoming a resident. What do I need to do?
- Was your licence issued in Northern Ireland?
Great news! Northern Irish licence holders can use their driving licence anywhere in the UK, as long as it remains valid 🎉

- Are you a European Economic Area passport holder?
Brexit hasn't changed too much when it comes to driving in the UK with a European licence.

If you’re moving to the UK with a valid licence issued in the European Economic Area then lucky you! You don't need to take British driving test 💪 You can drive on your international licence until you reach 70 years old. If you were 67 or older when you became a resident, you can drive on your EU licence for 3 years after that point. If you want to keep driving once you turn 70, simply exchange your European licence for a British one.

The European Economic Area comprises all members of the European Union, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Are you a migrant or expat driver looking for affordable car insurance? Get a quote from Marshmallow today!

- Was your licence issued outside of the European Economic Area?
You'll still be able to drive with your full valid licence for up to 12 months after you became a UK resident.

If your licence was issues in a 'designated country', you'll have the choice to exchange your foreign licence for a British one without taking a new driving test. That's because 'designated countries' have agreements with the United Kingdom for their citizens to drive in the UK without taking a new test. Licence holders from those countries have 5 years from when they became residents to exchange their foreign licence for a British one. But, it's important to remember that the foreign licence will only be valid for the first 12 months.

Designated countries are: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

Those who got their driving licence from countries outside of the designated countries list and the European Economic Area can drive with their foreign licence for up to 12 months from the day they became UK residents. After this period, they will need to pass a British driving test. To do so, the first step is to apply for a provisional British licence on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency website here.

Do I need car insurance if I have an international licence?
Yes, you do! Car insurance is a legal requirement in the UK. Having a UK licence means that you could get slightly cheaper insurance than if you hold a licence issued in the EU or further afield, so it's worth looking into getting a UK licence.
Profiel bekijkenStuur privébericht
deoolosmaflasw

BerichtGeplaatst: 28-12-2023 13:06:37 Reageren met citaatTerug naar boven

If your license was issued in Northern Ireland, you can use it anywhere in the UK as long as it remains valid. European Economic Area (EEA) passport holders can drive in the UK with their valid EEA license. No need to take a British driving test. The license is valid until age 70, and if you were 67 or older when becoming a resident, you have 3 years to drive on your EEA license. If your license was issued outside the EEA, you can drive with your full valid license for up to 12 months after becoming a UK resident. Speaking of driver's licenses things have changed a lot in recent years, especially with fake ohio id now it's generally an online coup. Designated countries have agreements with the UK, allowing their citizens to drive without a new test. Residents from these countries have 5 years to exchange their license for a British one, but the foreign license is only valid for the first 12 months. For those from countries outside the designated countries list and the EEA, after the initial 12 months, passing a British driving test is required. This process begins by applying for a provisional British license.
Profiel bekijkenStuur privébericht
Berichten van afgelopen:      
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsenReageren

Ga naar:   

Volgende onderwerp
Vorige onderwerp

Wilt u geen reclame op dit forum en genieten van extra voordelen? Klik dan vlug hier voor meer informatie!